Inspite of medical science improving in leaps and bounds, there are some areas where not much seems to have got done–not because medicine is not trying ,but because people are not accepting it. And that is, mental well-being of your loved ones. In today’s rat race -even those who are closest to you will not pay much heed to your thought process. As a result, although you live within a society, a family or with friends; what goes on in your mind largely goes unnoticed.
Even if one does have the courage to recognise it himself and goes vocal about it; it is phoo-phooed and assumed to be just a ‘feeling low’ stage. Then, when the person, feeling dejected, ends up sometimes, taking an extreme step, it comes as a complete surprise to near and dear ones. It is important to speak to a qualified psychologist or counsellor, to handle this well.
So, as a human, with a highly developed brain for intelligence, emotion and thinking, it is high time we learnt to recognise if a person close to us is undergoing depression. We must understand the difference between ‘feeling low ‘ and ‘depressed’. Many many times, the person was already giving out feelers for cry for help which, even the family, couldn’t register.
Remember, Women are twice as likely to suffer from depression as men.
Following are 7 signs that a person could be going into depression. Please be alert to them.
1) Not feeling good about himself –If you find someone constantly feeling insecure about his work, his family, his future, his health etc …pay heed. This person needs help. This feeling of self -loathing makes him take the extreme step sometimes. He needs talking to ,to help him regain confidence in himself.
2) Feeling desperate and resigned to fate –a depressed person will constantly be looking helpless, hopeless, in need of some guidance.
3) You will see a drastic change in their eating patterns- a person suffering from depression would adopt an extreme eating pattern; they would either suddenly gain weight or end up losing a significant amount of weight.
4) One of the major signs seen in an individual suffering from depression would be the individual’s sudden social withdrawal. He would plead to be left alone and could be found many times in a closed room with lights off, simply lying on bed.
5) Loss of interest, anxiety, drastic mood swings and irritability are also come of the symptoms of depression. Watch out for that sudden loss of temper without any provocation.
6) A person suffering from depression is also likely to experience drastic change in their sleeping pattern- you would either see excess lethargy and oversleeping on behalf of the person suffering, or you may find the depressed individual completely exhausted and devoid of a proper sleep.
7) One of the most evident signs in the workplace would be of changes in energy level, slacking, loss of interest, lack of concentration and slowness in thought and activity.
If you are unsure if it is indeed depression, Oyehelp has several specialists who deal with this problem, who you can consult from your home.